The task for my third assignment this term was called “lomographic remediations”. At the start we used a `holga´ camera with rolls of medium format film. I was using Kodak color films (ISO 160). After shooting a couple of rolls we were supposed to physically manipulate the negatives and then digitally remediate them.
I started off taking images of downtown Wellington trying to capture life and diversity focusing on architecture represented by fronts. I noticed a big variety in colors, shape, materials, seize, etc., also a lot of graffiti and heaps of glass. So in conclusion I focused on the colorful, reflective and mirrored aspects. Then I started with different experiments to translate these features to the negatives.
In this connection I became inspired by my first assignments of this years paper. I blended digitally two images together by using one image as the main image and the second one as a texture. I was keen on making this kind of effect manually with my physical negatives.
After beginning under the slogan “colorful Wellington” I made experiments rephotographing the negatives in front of different backgrounds. I wasn´t really satisfied. So I continued experimenting and started integrating influences of weather like sun/heat, wind, rain/water to remediate the negatives. I ended up with my final decision to use a self-designed bowl (with fragments of a mirror in the bottom), which is filled with water. These two aspects are representing an influence of weather and material. The water represents the common connection of rain to Wellington and rain as a influence of weather. The mirrors represent the material of the majority of fronts I have captured. Furthermore the facade is being a mirror itself of its environment and of its building behind, and all the images standing by themselves are just fragments of the whole. Then I brought all the pictures back to digital by taking an image with my SLR. After that I cropped and inverted them to bring back the colors again and adjusted the levels.
During my process I decided that my physical output is going to be ten A6 (148x105 mm) post cards. So I chose ten of my created images and finalized them.
My ten locations are:
01: Manners street x Lombard street
02: Willis street
03: Willeston street
04: Dixon street
05: Lambton Quay
06: Holland street
07: Cuba street
08: Grey street
09: Lambton Quay x Willis street
10: Taranaki street x Wakefield street
I printed the images double-sided and colored on 350gsm matte paper. I have chosen postcards because they fit quite well for my project. First I thought about mosaics in general (e.g. Byzantine mosaics) and creating a collage, in which a 2D “dot collage” represents the 3D world, same as in photographics pixels create an image. Coming back to physical film brought that back in my mind again. So I had the goal to create a collage out of fragments, which all together combine to a bigger picture of Wellington, which wouldn´t be the same, if the images just stand by themselves. And then postcards came in my mind. They are also just fragments, snippets of a city or a country especially in three ways: the short message, often just one image and the stamps. That was why I also created stamp-placeholders according to the pictures on the front side, using a digital fish eye effect.
For my images I used the same techniques and styles to bring the variety of this topic, through coloring and the physical hand-in, together again.
All in all my series “Snippets of Wellington” is an outline about Wellingtons diversity represented by the help of architecture and summarized by the same techniques and styles in a series of postcards.